February 29, 2012

Marriage...


I'm thinking I'm going to post every tuesday (more like wednesday) after our class 
(at least try-I know I'm not very good at regular posts ha!)
about what we've learned in class.
It will be a lot of writing and most often, no pictures.
This is mostly for me but would love for you guys to read it and comment!

I'm just loving this class a lot and want to remember some key things we have learned so far!
Our teacher is great, he tells very good stories that relate to the class.
I feel very good about the things we learn in this class
and
I know that
Andy and I will be able to apply what we've learned in this class to our marriage!


Last night, we learned about Family Styles.
THEY ARE DIFFERENT
This is a big thing that I need to work on.
I'm a big tradition person, which can be good and bad!
I love the traditions that my family does for holidays and other things as well.
I always imagine myself doing these same traditions, but that's not always going to work out.
Andy and I come from two very different families.
So it'll be exciting and fun for us to merge traditions and/or to completly just start new ones!

Brother Scott gave us a worksheet with a bunch of questions on it that we should ask each other about different things.

Such as...(and much more than what I am writing)...

Relationships: How much social time do you need outside of the marriage?
Personal Habits: How modest do you have to be to be comfortable? or Who drives the vehicle?
Health: Do you prefer traditional doctors or alternative approaches to medicine? or Do you take vitamins?
Hobbies: Do you like to camp? Trailer, tent or backpack? or Will you have personal or shared hobbies?
Finances: Will the wife be expected to work outside the home?
Profession: What input should the wife have in selecting the husband's profession?
House: How important is the size or newness of your house? or How clean must the house be kept?
Food: How often do you eat "out"? or Who shops for the food?
Parenting: Do kids sleep with parents? or Who will administer discipline?
Extended Family: Will you live with or near parents? or What role should your parents or in-laws play in your marriage?
Church: Will the family read scriptures daily? or Would it be OK for husband to give much time in church service?
Traditions: Will you be joining his or her family for Thanksgiving and Christmas? or What is the right way to celebrate a birthday?

It'll be fun and interesting to go through that together and come up with answers about each category and questions.
The main thing we learned in class is that Family Styles are different, but different is OKAY.

---

The other part of class was on Parenting.
Though we didn't cover much on this topic because we went into a lot on the Family Styles, he always gives us handouts.
On one of the handouts was this...

I love this quote from Sister Marjorie Pay Hinckley-
"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with grass stains on my shoes from mowing Sister Schenck's lawn.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be tehre with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

No comments:

Post a Comment